Saturday, August 22, 2015

Summer Wrap-up

It's 10:51 pm, and I am waiting for Sam to get home from his last day of carpet cleaning, his summer job that has been hard and good and frustrating all at the same time. He has lost nearly 30 lbs--not exaggerating here!--and worked 14-16 hour days since the beginning of May in the midst of med-school applications. We have both learned a lot in the process. I often find myself thinking, "This is a little taste of what my future will probably be like for a while!" I have learned that when Sam is super busy, it is best for me to busy myself and Claire with things we enjoy and not spend my time waiting around for Sam to get home because his estimations usually end up being wrong (not his fault), meaning he is hours later than he thinks he will be. Sam has learned, among other things I am sure, that he REALLY wants to further his education so that he is not doing manual labor day in and day out. 

Claire will be one-year-old this week! I will be honest, maybe it's because Claire is my first, but I am excited for this milestone and the opportunity to watch her grow up. You won't hear me saying, "Stop growing!" Because, wouldn't that be heart-breaking if she really did? Maybe (probably) I think too hard about things. Anyway, our baby girl is turning one, and we can't wait to celebrate with her. As of right now, she is not walking much (she's taken 1-2 steps on a few different occasions) and is trying to talk more and more each day. She's silly, sweet, thoughtful, smart, friendly, and loving, with a healthy dash of spunk. We love her to pieces. 

I think every day how grateful I am to be a mother and to be able to stay home with my baby girl. I can't imagine life any other way. Sure, it is hard. Like when I'm home all week without a car and start feeling like the walls are caving in on me...but all-in-all it is a wonderful, happy life. I am excited for this new season of fall and the fresh start it inevitably inspires for us! Here are a few goals/hopes I have for fall 2015--our last fall semester at Brigham Young University after being there for a grand total of 7 years (me) and 4.5 years (Sam):
  • family scripture study each morning 
  • family home evening each week (Monday)
  • family counsel/planning each week (Sunday)
  • make dinner 5 days/week (at least) & eat out less 
  • read, read, read! (Sam for school & for pleasure, me with Claire & on my own for pleasure/learning) --I am hoping to go to the library once/week for story-time and to check-out books to help make this goal a reality  
  • exercise regularly (run or walk in morning + strength training after Claire's in bed 5-6 days/week)
I'm really looking forward to the fall season and everything that it brings: baking, coming up with Halloween costumes, football games, crisp weather, changing leaves, etc. It's a good, good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment